• Business experience: Started Donnell Enterprises business “umbrella” in 1994 that performs virtual assistant work (minimum typing speed of 35 WPM), witness-only mortgage refinance loan closings (since 2000) for several title companies and lenders (familiar with RESPA, TIL, loan documentation and related bank terminology – wife Ann still does closings as well) and freelance writing assignments
• Customer Service Experience that includes Retail (Bookstore) and Call Center (Inbound Technical Support) Work
• Experienced Journalist/Editor: Beats have included general news, features, arts, politics, health, business, education and sports for various publications on a part-time or full-time basis since 1985
• Website designer and developer: created and maintains ArtsNash.com arts journalism website; led website redesign team while serving as media director and scheduler for 2007 Howard Gentry for Mayor campaign in Nashville TN; part of website redesign committee that launched a new Screen Actors Guild site in 2008 at www.sag.org (SAG now SAG-AFTRA, sagaftra.org)
• College Graduate: Accredited Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in business (MBA has Global Technology Management emphasis, including management of several student projects)
WORK EXPERIENCE (Selected)
Founder 1994 to present
Donnell Enterprises, Nashville TN
Has performed virtual assistant work, witness-only mortgage refinance loan closings (Tennessee Notary* – commission expires 07/03/2023) for several title companies and lenders (familiar with RESPA, TIL, loan documentation and related bank terminology) since 2000 and does freelance writing/editing assignments as well
*I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW IN THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, AND I MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.
Inbound Technical Support May 2013 to October 2013
IBEX Global, Spring Hill TN
Provided customers with technical support for smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices through IBEX call center temporary position.
Chief Theater, Film and Opera Critic June 2012 to December 2014
ArtsNash, Nashville TN
Writes news, features and reviews about theater, film and opera on a part-time basis for online arts journalism site (www.artsnash.com) developed by new nonprofit corporation he co-founded with fellow journalist John Pitcher. Has edited stringer stories as well as layout and posting duties; built website on WordPress platform and serves as its webmaster.
Writer/Critic (Freelance) 2002 to June 2011
The Tennessean, Nashville TN
Reviewed touring and local professional and amateur theater productions for the Gannett daily newspaper on a freelance basis. Wrote opera and classical music reviews beginning in 2006 and several features including a 2005 profile of Tony Award-winning actress and Tennessee native Cherry Jones for the paper’s Life section and a 2009 Sunday Arts and Entertainment section article on Actors Bridge Ensemble’s ACT LIKE A GRRRL summer writing and performance program for teenage females. Stopped contributing when online journalism opportunity arose.
Contributor 2008 to present
The Sondheim Review, Chicago IL
Has provided reviews of regional productions of Stephen Sondheim’s work to the quarterly theater publication.
Media Director/Scheduler January 2007 to August 2007
Howard Gentry For Mayor, Nashville TN
Handled communications and scheduling for Nashville mayoral campaign. Work included redesigning the candidate’s web site, handling news media and blogger requests for information and interviews and scheduling appearances and events for Mr. Gentry.
Contributor 2006 to 2008
Back Stage, New York NY
Written reviews and features on film and theater topics as regional correspondent for this entertainment industry publication.
Contributor 2001 to 2002
The City Paper, Nashville TN
Part-time sports writer primarily covering Metros soccer and college football beats.
Staff Writer 1998 to 2000
Nashville SportsWeekly/Titans Exclusive, Nashville TN
Full-time sports writer providing articles on football, basketball, soccer and other sports at the collegiate and professional levels (paper eventually sold to Gannett and shut down).
Customer Service Temporary Jobs 1994 to 1998
Randstad, Nashville TN
Worked in various customer service/administrative jobs for several companies, but primarily for Bell South Mobility (now AT&T Wireless) selling cellular phones and service as well as providing service to existing customers (1995 to 1998).
Staff Writer 1992 to 1994
Daily News, Bowling Green KY
Full-time reporter whose primary coverage areas concerned state government and education beats. Wrote and edited schools page for paper. Also wrote features under the “Folk Tales” banner. Left to get married and move back to Tennessee.
Associate 1991 (September through December)
Belle Meade Bookstar, Nashville TN
Part of initial team that opened the bookstore in October 1991. Worked at various times during store hours serving customers and after store hours stocking shelves. Left for journalism job in Kentucky.
Staff Writer 1990 to 1991
The Sports Page, Nashville TN
Covered local college sports for weekly newspaper (paper folded).
News Director/Disc Jockey/Anchor 1987 to 1988
WCOR AM 900, Lebanon TN
Was drive-time personality and news director, scripting and delivering hourly newscasts on weekdays.
WJFB TV-66, Lebanon TN
Scripted and delivered noonday newscast for low-power television station.
Writer 1985 to 1989
Lebanon Democrat, Lebanon TN
Was general assignment reporter for daily newspaper. Laid out top two news pages each night.
Nashville Banner, Nashville TN
Part-time general assignment reporter for state desk of daily newspaper (Mondays through Saturdays).
Master of Business Administration
American InterContinental University, Hoffman Estates IL
Global Technology Management emphasis – GPA: 4.0.
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools accredited degree program.
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
Saint Leo University, Saint Leo FL
Management Specialization – GPA: major, 3.246, overall 3.128.
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accredited degree program.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS (PAST AND PRESENT)
• American Theatre Critics Association
• Society of Professional Journalists
• Actors Equity Association
• Was selected as a Fellow for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Journalism Institute in Classical Music and Opera at Columbia University in New York Oct. 17-27, 2009.
• Was selected as a Fellow for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Journalism Institute in Theater and Musical Theater at USC Annenberg School for Communication in Los Angeles Jan. 9-20, 2006.
• Was selected as a Critic Fellow for the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center Critics Institute during the Waterford, Conn.-based center’s 40th anniversary conference in July 2004 and awarded Clara Hieronymus Scholarship to pay all attendance expenses.
• Has received individual and team recognition for journalism work from such competitions as the Southern Investigative Journalism Awards, the Kentucky Press Association Awards and Tennessee Press Association Awards.
• Has appeared on the professional stage, on television in such shows as “Unsolved Mysteries” and in films such as “The People Vs Larry Flynt.” Also produced and directed theater productions under the AthensSouth Theatre banner from 1996-2001 after founding the group with three other Nashville-based performing artists.
• Served on the Nashville Branch Council of the Screen Actors Guild and the first SAG-AFTRA Nashville Branch Board from 2004-2013. National committee service included stints on SAG’s national Honors and Tributes, Legislative and Guild Government Review Committees. Also served as Regional Branch Division Co-Chair of the Communications Committee’s Web Site Subcommittee that redesigned SAG’s web site in 2008.
Available Upon Request